It seems like it shouldn’t have to be said, but sometimes people forget that when juveniles get into trouble with the law they have rights and those rights need to be protected. In fact, some of the laws that protect juveniles are stricter than those that protect adults because they are written with juveniles in mind.

The Miranda rights that we have all heard about on TV apply to juveniles as well as adults. There are additional safeguards in place that also protect juveniles. We have a recent podcast which discusses juvenile rights in detail.

Young people cannot be questioned by the police unless they have a parent or guardian or another responsible adult with them. Someone who is looking out only for the interests of the child. That adult’s job is to make sure that the juvenile understands the rights the police read to them, and that they understand what consequences waiving their rights could have for their future.  It’s wise to note here that many adults don’t fully understand the consequences of waiving rights so it is usually in everyone’s best interest to get an attorney involved immediately.

The first right that is read is that you have the right to remain silent. The best legal advice is to exercise that right. Stay silent and get an attorney. Let your attorney help you figure out the seriousness of the trouble and what the best course of action is. Learn more about what a criminal case involves here.

Contrary to what many people believe, if you end up with a juvenile record it can follow you for the rest of your life. A juvenile record can prevent you from a college education, can prevent you from entering the military, can prevent you from obtaining certain jobs or can prevent you from following some career paths. That juvenile record can stay with you forever.

If your child or another juvenile family member finds themselves in trouble with the law, get legal help right away. A successful outcome can save a child from a record that follows them throughout their entire life.

Contact us. Call or text Contant Law at 617-227-8383.

Put Contant in your contacts.